2008/05/27

Update

I'm surprised there were no comments on the last post.  Anyway.  I just moved to Kichijoji.  This town is awesome!  I live in a nice house in a quiet neighborhood with a few people.  I am only 20-30 min from my schools on a single train (I was an hour and 3 trains away before).

So this morning I was walking to school and I caught up to some of my students.  We were talking and walking and I was on their left looking over.  Then it hit me.  A pole, that is.  Yeah,  it hurt.

The other day I was on the train on my way home.  I had forgotten if the train goes all the way to my station or not so I turned to the girl next to me and asked her, "Where does this train stop?"  She turns to me and says, "I'm sorry, I don't speak Japanese."  And in a split second I think my brain exploded and reconstructed itself.  I didn't even realize I had said it in Japanese so I didn't know how to respond.  Another second of recovery and I asked it successfully in English.  Phew!

Guns Germs and Steel is awesome for the first half and boring and slow for the rest.  I'm confused about his target audience.  More on that later.

Fun Facts:

More Ikea catalogs are printed every year than bibles.

Sex is the safest tranquilizer in the world. It is ten times more effective than Valium.

It is cheaper in India to have sex with a prostitute than to buy a condom.

In Kentucky, 50 percent of the people who get married for the first time are teenagers.

The only acceptable sexual position in Washington, DC, is the missionary-style position. Any other sexual positions is considered illegal.

Texas is the only state that permits residents to cast absentee ballots from space.

The day after President George W. Bush was re-elected in 2004, Canada's main immigration website had 115,000 visitors. Before Bush's re-election, this site averaged about 20,000 visitors each day.

The fertility rate in states that voted for George W. Bush is 12 percent higher than states that favored John Kerry in the 2004 presidential election.

George Washington spent about 7 percent of his annual salary on liquor.

In Hong Kong, a betrayed wife is legally allowed to kill her adulterous husband, but may only do so with her bare hands.

Quebec City, Canada, has about as much street crime as Disney World.

There are at least two reported instances of British college students auctioning off their virginity on eBay.

Residents of an Austrian village called Fucking voted against changing the name in 2004, but did replace their road signs with theft-resistant versions welded to steel and secured in concrete to stem their frequent theft. (The name is pronounced to rhyme with "looking.")

Brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide their body odor-hence, the custom of today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

1 comment:

About this blog said...

Glad you like your new place. We'll have to come visit again. :-)

I like your fun facts. Interesting that half of all brides in KY are teens. When I mentioned to my colleagues that Kristy was 22 when she got married, their jaws dropped. "So young!"