2007/05/25

Thank you Akihabara

I work about 5 minutes by train from one of the biggest and most famous places for electronics in the world: Akihabara, Tokyo. Today, I finished my quest for a new camera. I splurged a little and I saved a lot. Retail is 400 bucks. I got mine for 280, but the menus are all in Japanese. Luckily, there is a lot of Katakana, so it's pretty easy to read.

Behold, my new pet
The Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-T100


So you'll start seeing more pictures and maybe even videos soon.

Back to the previous entry on employment.. My friend just got back from France. She called me up and when telling me about her experience, she said she was shocked at how bad the service was everywhere she went. People didn't care about the customer, she said. They only care about their lunch break, or what they're going to do after work. They only work 35 hours a week and get two months of vacation! I tried to explain that it is probably just the service jobs and low paying dead end jobs that have such poor service, and that the US is not so different.

It seems to me that Japan and France are polar opposites on this issue. When I was talking to her it was 9:30 PM and she was still at work. Ouch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At least the writing on the camera is in English so you can find the menu button. Looks pretty sweet.

Jennifer said...

The service is similar in Germany, too. 35-hour work week, 30+ vacation days a year. Not only service and retail, but also public employees and anyone belonging to a union. On the other hand, once you get used to the European bluntness, it is kind of annoying to be greeted with a loud, fake "hi, how are you today" in the States. At least the Europeans are honest.