2008/03/01

Political Compass

I first took the political compass test in high school. I scored near the center but slightly to the lower left. My score has dragged further out in that same direction since then. Here's my position:

Economic Left/Right: -3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.56



I think my biggest problem with the test is that it's hard for me to tell if I should answer what I think should happen in the real world or in an ideal world. Usually it's the same answer, but not always. I think it's important to take the results of tests like this with a grain of salt for that very reason. The way people react in real world situations and the way they think things should be are not always the same. Some might argue that you should vote for someone who has the same beliefs as you or lines up with you on the political compass, but others might say you should vote for who you think can more realistically win and help bring the countries overall compass toward your own.

I would be interested in knowing what scores other people get. Feel free to post in the comments!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-6.38&soc=-3.95

You disappoint me Mike. I would never have thought you were a conservative!! (compared to me...)

Michael said...

Chan Ho: (your link got cut off)

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95

I think the wording of the questions prevents me from being too far in any direction.

Unknown said...

Sure, why not...

Economic: -4.00
Social: -4.62

my chart

Apparently you're the Dalai Lama and I'm Nelson Mandela.

Joe said...

Were pretty close

Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.15

Jennifer said...

Here goes:
Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08

Anonymous said...

I posted my compass up on facebook. I scored up and to the left a bit from you but we're in the same quadrant.

I had a ton of trouble really answering some of those questions. It's hard for me to say those answers really reflect me considering how I didn't know how to answer all the time.

ThePeat said...

Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.64

Does this mean I win? Is it like playing golf?

I agree with your analysis, though, Mike. I tended to go with the "idealist" method, mostly because I enjoy identifying as a radical leftist. I, too, added the facebook ap. You should come join the family in my cloud :)