2008/01/21

New Years Resolution

I've never felt like I read enough. This year I'm gonna try what I heard about on some forum somewhere called the 50 book challenge. I'll try to read 50 books this year, which is about 1 a week with a little bit of breathing room. I'm gonna try to make half of them (or more) non-fiction. So here is my list so far. I really liked The Selfish Gene. It really changed my understanding of evolution and life in general. If you pick it up, and you should, read the notes in the back as they come up because the 30th anniversary has lots of updates in it. I also love the Dark Materials trilogy so far. It's unfortunate and it makes me very angry that religious conservatives have organized a boycott against the movie that was so successful that they aren't going to make the 2nd and 3rd movies. You don't see atheists boycotting Narnia, do you? It must be easy to feel threatened by a rival piece of fiction when you can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Anyway, on to the list.

Finished:
Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene (30th anniversary edition)
Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials Book 1)

Almost done:
Philip Pullman, The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials Book 2)

Next:
Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials Book 3)

Ones I own and haven't read yet:
Sam Harris, End of Faith
Daniel Dennett, Breaking the Spell
Steven Hawking, A Brief History of Time

Excited about, but waiting for paperback:
Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Infidel
Neil Shubin, The Inner Fish
Christiane Nusslein-Volhard, Coming to Life

Others I want:
Jeff Hawkins, On Intelligence
Richard Dawkins, The Extended Phenotype
Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watch Maker
Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species

Any Recommendations? I'm interested in evolution and the brain. What other Steven Hawking book should I read? How was the Elegant Universe?

No comments: